Thursday, September 14, 2006

Introducing...YourOGL

Well, I’ve got another crazy idea. I’ve been tinkering with an Open Gaming License (OGL) twenty-sider game off and on for over a year now. I have come to two conclusions:

  1. A new OGL rule system, by an unknown publisher, released via PDF (and perhaps even in print) would have little chance of being picked up and would probably die a quick death (which would be a waste of time). I would probably make a few bucks and occasionally run across someone at a convention who knows someone who knows someone who once read it. So, except for some quick dough and an occasional ego stroke, it wouldn’t be worth it.
  2. I’ve looked at so many of the OGL games out there, but can’t help but find problems with certain parts of the rules or get frustrated with the lack of building upon existing Open Gaming Content (OGC) versus creating something brand new that is far too often not as good as the original.

I decided to think back on what got people excited about OGL in the first place. It was going to be a universal system, a universal ‘language of gaming’, if you will. The core rules would be free for all to read making fan accessories easy to do. It would allow publishers to tweak and torque the rules to make a better and stronger game system over time.

So, years later what do we have? Well, the d20 system is still popular with certain game settings, but overall has lost its flair and has barely ‘evolved’ over time (3.0 to 3.5). There are even rumors of a 4th edition that won’t be OGL (ack). OGL spin-offs are becoming more popular, but really only Green Ronin’s True20 and Mutants & Masterminds are doing exceptionaly well. Anime d20 will fade away now that GoO has closed shop. Spycraft 2.0 has gotten a second chance, but it remains to be seen how well it will do in the long run. Other OGL games have done moderately well, while others have not. d20, d20 Modern and Anime d20 are the only twenty-sider games to ever create free SRDs. Non-twenty-sider OGL games that have free SRDs include Action, Fate and Fudge.

I want to bring back that excitement. I want the fans to have a game system they can rally behind. I want to take OGL to the next step in its evolution. I…well I’m also a little bored and this sounds like fun. ;)

So, what is YourOGL? It is the first (to my knowledge) OGL game that will allow fans to see it as it is being developed and chime in. The first where all players, not just a select playtest group, can help guide its creation.

So here it goes:

Step 1: I will present a different rule section every other week (or so). You email or post on the blog what you think. This is your chance to tell me what you think should be changed, submit open game content to be added, tell me what you like, etc. Constructive criticism only! No flame wars! “Me no like,” type statements with no explanation or opinions of what would work better will be ignored. Based upon your input I will modify the rule section.

Step 2: I will post a 1st draft System Reference Document (SRD). This will be the basic rules only, based upon your input. Now is your chance to tell me what I should change for the next draft.

Step 3: I probably will create a PDF with a more detailed collection of the rules, additional rules, better formatting and art. It will be cheap and most of the money will be used to keep the site up or buy OGL books to research for more rules.

Step 4: I will list all websites or books that use the rule system. One central hub where you can find all YourOGL books.

Not only will this be a cool way for an RPG system to be made and allow you to help create a game system that you want to play, but it will be a great ‘how-to’ guide to creating an OGL RPG.

The Fine Print

Now the last of the details. The YourOGL and Your(Mature)OGL names and logos (logos coming soon) are my product identity (you can find the ‘legaleze’ in all future YourOGL stuff in the license section as is standard for OGL games). You can’t use it unless I say it is ok (can I be any clearer?). There is no fee. All you are asked to do is contact me. I will send you a short form to fill out. Then you send me an electronic copy and I will contact you with permission or not. Nearly all books will be ok’d unless it is basically just a re-print of the SRD that offers nothing new (why?) or it includes racist/sexist/allother-“ist” remarks. So please don’t bother sending those to me, I hate playing the bad guy and saying no (especially if you should know better). Excessive sexual content or violence is ok (huzzah!) – but you will have to use the Your(Mature)OGL logo instead of the main logo. Cool? Not clear on what crosses the ‘Mature’ line? Then contact me.

I’m not asking much here. Just basic quality control and labeling of mature books. By having books sent to me I can keep track of what is out there and list it on the site. I can also highlight high-quality books that may be from unknowns that would otherwise get little attention. Keep in mind that you only need to contact me if you want to use one of the logos and/or state compatibility with YourOGL. If all you want to do is use the rules from the SRD, as is standard with all OGL games, you are free to do so without permission.

‘YourOGL needs you!’

BUT for any of this to succeed I need you to play your part. Give me feedback, point out errors, submit OGC (open game content), tell everyone about the rule system, write fan or professional supplements, etc. Also keep in mind if bandwidth gets heavy, I will have to rely on the usual ADA (Ads, Donations, and Affiliate) trio to keep up the site.

I want the core system to be a ‘community-based’ game system. If I get little help or no feedback, then don’t expect me to keep slaving away on it. I’ll either drop it completely or go all hermit and finish it on my own.

So, without further ado, here is a list of all (that I know of) current OGL systems out there with links to either their SRD or PDF (some are free, some are not). Feel free to read over them and start thinking about what you would like to see.

List of OGL Systems

At the end of each article I will have the OGL license with all OGL games listed that are discussed to date.

It Begins!

The first section will be ability scores. I will briefly present all options used in the other OGL games, then tell you what one, or probably combination of ones that I’m thinking about using (usually presented in two choices: moderate & experimental). If you have a system of ability scores you would like considered (already published or your own creation), then contact me right away and I will include it in the options.

Here is what I’m thinking for the overall rule system. The rules will be OGL twenty-sider based (because everyone understands it) that has a basic version and an advanced version or at least is flexible enough to be modified for various difficulty levels. I’m also open to optional rules for the SRD, so feel free to send them in for peer review. Lastly, I’m not against creating variant YourOGL systems that are not based on the ‘sacred’ twenty-sided die (perhaps one that is percentile-based or six-sided based).

It is my belief that the game mechanics often define the setting of a game. By making the mechanics universal, the setting often becomes generic and it can stifle creativity. BUT I think if we think outside the box, we can make YourOGL flexible enough to be modified to fit nearly any setting (variant rules, flexible terminology, ability to modify difficulty, etc). In the end, there is no perfect system (and if there was, there would still be people complaining about it), but there are some great OGL games out there to build upon. I want this to be a ‘community-based’ game. I am ultimately the designer who calls the final shots, but everyone can playtest, help fix errors, create new open game content, create variant rules and create new game settings using the rules. All of these have been done before, but never all together and the process has never been this transparent. This idea excites me and I hope it at least perks your curiosity.

So join the OGL re-evolution! Let’s work together to create a really cool OGL game!

Feel free to email with any questions. Feel free to send open gaming content you would like considered for YourOGL, but be sure to ask via email first before sending any attachments. Due to spam and viruses I will delete all emails with attachments from addresses I am not familiar with. I have also put up Version 1.0 of the YourOGL FAQ, just click…here.

Next: Ability Scores

Until next time…Marx out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home